Teens Musical Theatre Class
Term 3 2022: 27 July - 28 September
$40 / 1 Hour Class
Term 3 2022: 10 Classes ($400)
Gallagher Academy of Performing Arts, University of Waikato Gate 1
Are you obsessed with musical theatre?
Do you listen to showtunes all day – in your room, on the bus, when you study, with your friends, in the shower, in your sleep?
This weekly musical theatre class is for performers in their teens who live and breathe musicals, and want to develop their skills in an uplifting and focused environment.
Through practical, energising lessons you’ll build a solid musical theatre foundation. You’ll integrate acting, singing and dancing skills (no matter your current strengths and weaknesses) and grow your confidence and self-esteem in the process.
You’ll not only immerse yourself in your Broadway-geekery, but you’ll find your tribe in the process. Surrounding yourself with new friends who share your passion and support you to be the best you can be is a wonderful way to fill your happy tank and find belonging.
Here's what you'll do in class:
- Learn functional vocal techniques to help you access range, projection, ease, and a range of boadway styles (In The Heights to West Side Story and much more in between.)
- Integrate acting skills into everything we do. It’s musical theatre after all. This is what makes the singing and the dancing come alive.
- Practice your audition skills and find out what directors are really looking for when they are casting
- Get on your feet rehearsing and performing scenes and songs from shows. You’ll share your work with our supportive group and grow your confidence and ability.
- Learn choreography and discover how to combine singing dancing and acting so it seems effortless.
- Prepare for and perform in a stunning showcase at the end of Term 3.
Meet The Teacher
Scot is highly experienced actor, director and voice teacher who specialises in musical theatre. A familiar face to Waikato audiences, his recent roles include Javert in Les Miserables, Mr Banks in Mary Poppins and Msr. Andre in The Phantom of the Opera.
He has taught, performed and directed musicals throughout New Zealand for over 10 years, and particularly enjoys helping young performers build confidence and self-esteem through theatre.
Scot created and lead the Musical Theatre Academy programme at St Peter's Cambridge. He owns a thriving private voice studio in Cambridge and hosts workshops throughout NZ including The Actor’s Voice, Singing for Non Singers, Musical Theatre Audition Skills and more.
His teaching style is positive and inclusive, with a special emphasis on creativity and acting through song.
- Always praise, never lie.
- Kindness first.
- Everyone has a beautiful voice.
Te Whare Tapere Iti
Classes take place at the stunning Gallagher Academy of Performing Arts, at the University of Waikato.
Our light filled space Te Whare features a floor to ceiling window looking out over the lake, and a spacious playing area for your creativity to flourish. There is ample space in the Academy’s beautiful foyer if you arrive early or have people waiting for you, and the campus grounds make for a lovely walk too.
My goal with this class is to create the learning environment I dreamed of as a teenager, and help you find your tribe of Musical Theatre Geeks.
Do I need to be an experienced performer to join?
How long is the committment?
What if I already take singing / dancing / acting classes?
Can I try the class before I commit for the term?
Can I hear from some of your current students?
Class numbers are limited. Sign up using the form below, and feel free to include any questions you have about the class.